APNSW+ and NSWP+ launched at SWFF
Launch of APNSW+ and NSWP+
Tuesday 24th July 2012
Sex Worker Freedom Festival
We are a group of HIV+ Sex Workers and people committed to treatment access for sex workers living with HIV. We have decided that we need a special platform to fight for the rights of HIV+ sex workers and to bring the sex worker’s issues and the energy and glamour of the Sex workers movement to the treatment activist movement!
Our new platforms ‘Asia and Pacific Network of Positive Sex Workers’ (APNSW+) and ‘Global Network of Positive Sex Workers’ (NSWP+) make these demands:
- HIV+ Sex workers demand the right to look fabulous- to do this we need better and affordable HIV drugs now
- WE DEMAND AS POSITIVE PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO WORK AS SEX WORKERS!!!
- We demand the right to work in all sectors, including in the sex industry
- We demand that the drug companies from the West stop trying to kill us through their attacks on developing countries right to manufacture, export and import generic ARVs
- As HIV+ sex workers we face MULTIPLE stigma and discrimination despite 25 years of treatment activism there is an extra layer of stigma if we have HIV and do sex work. As positive sex workers, we demand that this stigma is fought and our specific needs are met
- We demand not to be last in line for treatment or refused treatment because we are sex workers
- Treatment needs to be matched to the patient not the patient matched to the treatment
- Post Exposure Prophylaxis is not available to most people around the world – we need access and availability of PEP, especially for sex workers
AS HIV+ SEX WORKERS, WE DEMAND THE RIGHT TO LOOK FABULOUS!!!